Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Day 2...on the high seas

It's 1:45 of the second day at sea, enroute to morehead city. We are sailing now (engine is off) heading due north with winds at 15 knots from the East - a beam reach. We are doing over 9 knots, in part because we are in the Gulf Stream which adds 3-4 knots to our speed. To maximize this effect we are on a route suggested by Jenifer Clarke who sent me the coordinates on Friday. So far it has worked out as predicted. If this keeps up we won't have to stop for fuel till Beaufort

We are about 50 miles off shore so no cell phone or internet connectivity. I'm writing this draft using a program called iawriter on my cellphone as I decline in the cockpit. Robert just went down to take a nap. I had mine earlier

Last night was cold and windy. Up to 23 knots, and to be honest being on watch was not a lot of fun. But today is beautiful..sunny, warm, nice 15 knot breeze. Hope it stays this way. 

Had an accident this morning. I was making coffee, pouring hot water through a filter cone with ground into a thermos when the boat lurched and I went flying. I let go of the tea kettle but foolishly held onto the filter. Coffee grounds and hot water every, and unfortunately a little bit on my ankle, raising a small blister. I cleaned up everything, then put some neosporin on my ankle. A bit later Robert, who was a podiatrist suggested a bandage with some Aloe and so that's what I have now. I'll change the bandage in the morning and perhaps add more neosporin to the mix

My seasickness has faded but I still don't have much appetite. It will be soup and crackers for dinner

I'll have to wait to post this till we get closer to land. Probably Tuesday

No comments:

Post a Comment